Friday, December 4, 2009

Friends Will Be Friends

I guess I haven't been so diligent about keeping up with this blog, and I've definitely been slack at looking into my dreams. It's not that there haven't been some bizarre dreams, or that I haven't had anything to say - anyone who knows me knows I always have something to say. I'll just have to be better about typing stuff out.

During my mini-hiatus (I'll get to last night's dream in a bit), one of the only dreams I really remember centered around paper clips. Not just paper clips, but magical paper clips, that had the ability to stop enemies in their tracks. I know, it sounds like I'm reading a line out of 1950's comic books. But seriously, how often have you had a dream about something so commonplace that you hardly ever think about it? Maybe you don't, but it happens to me pretty often. Anyway, I looked it up, and apparently paper clips have a meaning in the Dream Moods dictionary:
To see or use a paper clip in your dream suggests that you feel that you need to hold a relationship together. Perhaps you need to organize certain aspects of your life.
It sounds like a bit of a literal interpretation to me. Anyway, another aspect of this dream is one that I've had many times before. A good portion of the dream took place in a bathroom, trying to hide from people.
To dream that you are in the bathroom, relates to your instinctual urges. You may be experiencing some burdens/feelings and need to "relieve yourself". Alternatively, it may symbolize purification and self-renewal. You need to cleanse yourself, both emotionally and psychologically.
Anyway, on to last night's dream. I couldn't find any way of "defining" this part, but it was the most unusual part. In this dream, I had two very good friends, who I'm not at all friends with. One of them (commence laughing) was Derek Jeter. The other was someone I went to high school with, who I was never ever friends with, and I definitely do not talk to him at all now. I'm pretty sure the reason Derek Jeter was in my dream was because I was just reading about him getting Sport's Illustrated Sportsman of the Year yesterday. I am, as it turns out, a Yankees fan, but I've never actually dreamed about the Yankees, or any of the players. As for the other 'friend', I guess the best thing to look up is Childhood Friend:
To see your childhood friend in your dream signifies regression into your past where you had no responsibilities and things were much simpler and carefree. You may be wanting to escape the the pressures and stresses of adulthood. Consider the relationship you had with this friend and the lessons that were learned.
The relationship we had growing up was pretty non-existent. He was part of that cool group, and I was, well, not. I also doubt that it would signify a regression to a 'simpler and carefree' time - school with him and his friends was actually pretty torturous. At least in elementary school. After that it was bearable. I would probably say that his being in my dream doesn't really represent anything, but he was also in another dream I had - the one with the paper clips.

The next question I have about these odd friendships is, why are they both male? I suppose that could just be reading into it too much, but I feel like that was a point that kept coming up in my dream. They'd hug me and say something like, 'I love you, but as a friend', 'We're best friends', and so on. I also like to hug my friends, but I don't feel the need to distinguish between a platonic love and a let's-run-away-together love. I'm pretty sure that's already established. Apparently, my subconscious thinks otherwise.

So that was one part of the dream. The other part, was some kind of survivor-like game, only it was for an acting job or something. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I do know that it was a big deal. At the time of elimination, it was between me, and my sister. Since she majored in theater, I stepped aside, and let her stay in the 'game'.
To see your sister in your dream symbolizes some aspect of your relationship with her, whether it one of sibling rivalry, caring, protectiveness, etc. Your sister may draw attention to your family role and sense of belonging. It may also serve to remind you that someone in your waking life has characteristics similar to your sister.
I was also crying:
To dream that you are crying signifies a release of negative emotions that is more likely caused by some waking situation rather than the events of the dream itself. Your dream is a way to regain some emotional balance and a way to safely let out your fears and frustrations. In our daily lives, we tend to ignore, deny, or repress our feelings. But in our dream state, our defense mechanisms are no longer on guard and thus allow for the release of such emotions.

On to the third part of the dream. I was driving a car:
To dream that you are driving a vehicle signifies your life's journey and your path in life. The dream is telling of how you are moving and navigating through life.
I wasn't exactly moving, I was at a stop light. And then, the car started moving in reverse, and hit a police car.
To dream that you are driving a car in reverse, suggests that you are experiencing major setbacks in your goals.
To see the police in your dream indicates a failure to perform or to honor obligations and commitments. The police also symbolizes structure, rules, power, authority and control. Perhaps you need to put an end to your reckless behavior or else the law will catch up to you. You fear punishment.

To dream that you are arrested by the police suggests that you feel sexually or emotionally restrained because of guilt. The dream may also be a metaphor that you are feeling apprehensive about something.
It was also raining, and I was in a convertible with the top down, trying to make a call on my phone:
To dream that you get wet from the rain, indicates cleansing from your troubles and problems. Rain also symbolizes fertility and renewal.

To see or use a cell phone in your dream, indicates that you are being receptive to new information. It also represents your mobility.
I know it sounds like three different dreams here, but somehow in my mind, they all made sense together.


All definitions come from Dream Moods.

No comments:

Post a Comment