Monday, December 7, 2009

Calling Elvis

my initial thoughts on the droid:

For so long I've avoided the 'smart phone'. When the world became obsessed with the blackberry, I had no interest. My simple camera phone was good enough for me. Then came the iPhone. Instead of jumping ship and joining AT&T like everyone else did, I got the enV from Verizon. (I was actually going to get the voyager, but a friend of mine got it and did not like it at all!) I really love the enV, for the record. Except that after having it for a year, it started to shut off on it's own every now and then. A few months ago, my sister left Verizon so that she could get the iPhone. I have to admit, it's a nice phone. I was hoping that Verizon would also start selling the iPhone, since rumors were going around the the contract between Apple and AT&T were almost up and Apple had no interest in signing another exclusive contract. Some people said it was just a matter of time before Verizon customers could get the iPhone, and other said it was never going to happen.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the iPhone will not be making its way into Verizon stores in the near future. I still caved though and got the Droid. I was actually really excited when Verizon announced the new phones. And when I got a coupon allowing me to upgrade early, I jumped at the opportunity. Turns out it was only 10 days before my 'new every two' came around, but still. I'm incredibly thrilled with it, but like everything else in this world - nothing is perfect. Here are some minor issues I have with the Droid:

I got a hard case to protect it. The problem was that it didn't slide open very easily to reveal the keyboard, and it made the phone thicker, which defeats the purpose of having a slim phone to begin with. After about 2 days I took the case off. If I feel like I need another case, I'll try one of the plastic ones. To be honest, there are not very many options for cases, and I don't like any of them. Also, the keyboard is a bit unnecessary.

There is no simple way to just make a call, but you can star contacts, putting your favorites in one place. I also just discovered an alternative to speed dialing, by creating a direct dial shortcut and it will be on the home screen. I put them in a folder and called it Speed Dials, so that I don't accidently start dialing people. The folders, by the way, are great.

In a lot of ways, the droid is very similar to the iPhone, with the touch screen, and a lot of similar apps. The one that I think is a must get is the task killer. Droid allows several apps to run at once, much like a computer, and this is an easy way to see which ones are running and to shut them all down at once, so they don't drain the battery.

I haven't had a chance yet to try all the features, but so far, I really love the phone. I already sent in the rebate stuff, so I'm stuck with it whether I change my mind or not. Two things though I wish the droid had that my enV had - ESPN mvp, and polyphonic (not truetone) ringtones. It was impossible trying to find a ringtone I was happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment